Wellington County Court House
In 1837 the provincial legislature established the provisional District of Wellington and authorized the erection of a court house and jail at Guelph.
Construction of the two structures, designed by the noted Toronto architect Thomas Young, commenced under the supervision of a committee of local magistrates.
Built by William Allan of Guelph, the limestone court house is one of the few structures in Ontario executed in the castellated style reminiscent of medieval fortifications.
It was erected in 1842-44 and has been expanded many times--each addition complementing the design of the original structure. An important judicial and administrative complex, the court house continues to serve this County and in 1980-81 was enlarged and extensively renovated for use as the Wellington County Administration Centre.